The race is held in conjunction with the annual challenge walk and utilizes many of their marshals. Please be courteous to the marshals and walkers and practice social distancing where required.
Date : Saturday 14th August 2021.
Start Venue : Shimna Integrated College, Kings Road, Newcastle. Grid ref J374 302
Registration : 8.30am – 9.30am, (face mask required).
Race Start : 10.00am. (Socially distanced mass start).
Race Director : Jim Brown.
Distance : 19 miles /30.5 km.
Ascent : 8700ft / 2600 m
Event Description: This is an arduous mountain race on open mountains and entrants should have the necessary required fitness levels and experience before submitting an entry. In bad weather and/or poor visibility navigation skills and experience is an essential requirement for all entrants. This is not a suitable race for novices or new entrants to the sport of mountain running. The race organisers reserve the right to refuse a starting place to anybody whom they deem to not have the requisite experience and/or fitness. The minimum entry age is 18.
Parking: Runners can park their vehicles in the school grounds. Access is via Kings St from the Shore Rd.
Route: One lap of the playing fields at the college then follow marked route to the Glen River and thence up into the hills. The course is clockwise this year so the main summits in order are Donard, Commedagh, Lamagan, Binnian, Meel Beg, Meelmore, and Bernagh then back to the college finishing via the marked route through the forest. An electronic control box will have to be dibbed on each summit and there are five marshaled positions which must be checked into as well. In order they are –
|Checkpoint||Grid Ref *||Marshals / Timed|
|Start – Donard Car Park||J 373 305|
|Slieve Donard||J 357 276||Control Box|
|Col Donard-Commedagh||J 349 279||MCP 1|
|Slieve Commedagh||J 346 286||Control Box|
|Slieve Lamagan||J 328 260||Control Box|
|Col Lamagan – Binnian||J 321 255||MCP 2|
|Slieve Binnian||J 320 233||Control Box|
|Ben Crom Dam
(Cut-Off Time 14:00)
|J 315 254||MCP 3 & Control Box|
|Slieve Meelbeg 708m||J 300 279||Control Box|
|Col Meel Beg – Meelmore
|J 303 281||MCP 4|
|Slieve Meelmore||J 305 285||Control Box|
|Slieve Bearnagh||J 312 280||Control Box|
|Hares Gap||J 322 286||MCP 5|
|Col Donard-Commedagh||J 349 279||MCP 6|
|Finish – Donard Car Park (TBC)||J 374 306|
All runners must carry at least the following minimum equipment:
- Compass – suitable for accurate navigation in adverse conditions.
- Map of the entire course (Mournes Outdoor Pursuits Map) Black & White photocopy not acceptable.
- Emergency rations equivalent to one Mars bar (minimum)
- Thermal (foil) blanket
- Waterproof coat with attached hood
- Waterproof trousers
- Hat and gloves
N.B. Some items may be dropped on the day depending on weather conditions.
Please take note of the Covid measures and restrictions stated in SI Entries before signing up to this race.
- Water – is in short supply out on the course. Plan accordingly.
- Food – Refreshments will be provided at the finish.
- No Safety Pins – Bring your own
- No Wall Walking – As usual, the Mourne Wall must not be walked or run upon. Use stiles or secure points to cross it where required.
- Out-of-Bounds – Follow tapes out and back through forest and own navigation out on the hills
- Other users – Donard Forest is a popular public space. Please be mindful of other users and give them a wide berth there and on the hills. You do not have right of way just because you are a serious international athlete.
- Retirements – All retiring runners should report to the nearest marshal’s post (if possible), return by the safest, direct route and must report to the race organisers at the finish.
- Go Home– We know it’s great to meet up with other runners and compare route choices or injuries after a race, but please keep your socialising to a minimum (before and after the race) and leave promptly in order to reduce the risk of spreading Covid.
- RESULTS – will be published live here http://barfni.co.uk/results/index.html (3G permitting)